Friday, August 13, 2010

Why are schools so often reported as haunted?

First, Happy Friday the 13th!

Many of our local schools have ghost stories associated with them. And one of my friends asked me why. Why are there so many ghost stories from schools?

I think it's partly to do with all of the emotions and activities that take place in schools. I think it also has a lot to do with the fact that schools are full of kids and kids can create some great stories.

Let me explain. Galbraith School is said to be haunted.

Well, a few weeks ago I had a group of young people in the museum and one burst out that there was a ghost at Galbraith School. I replied that, yes, I had heard that but no one could ever provide me with background as to who the ghost was supposed to be.

He told me the first principal of the school had gone crazy, murdered his family and then killed himself -- and that he now haunts the school.

At that point, I had to laugh. I told him the first principal had been killed in action during the First World War and that none of that was true.

He looked at me quietly and then said, well, then it was the second principal. I said, no, the second principal was a woman and only was principal for 6 months before she moved to Ontario. And, before he could say anything, I said and no, it's not the 3rd principal either. The 3rd principal was also a woman and was principal for 20 years before she, too, moved to Ontario.

I felt a little guilty bursting his bubble (but I really can't allow people to misrepresent history) and I really had to chuckle how incredibly detailed, fabulous and spooky his story was -- even if none of it was true.

No comments:

Post a Comment